The OHSAS 18001 Standard, sets the requirements for a health and safety management system in working places, so as an organization can control any H&S hazards and improve its performance. The Standard does not set specific performance criteria neither detailed guidance for planning a management system.
The requirements of the Standard OHSAS 18001 can be applied to any organization that wishes to:
· Establish a Health & Safety Management System in order to minimize or eliminate hazards related to employees and other interested parties that are related the organization’s activities and may be exposed to hazards.
· Implement and improve a Health & Safety Management System.
· Ensure the internal compliance to the company’s Policy.
· Communicate this compliance to external interested parties.
· Seek certification for a Health & Safety Management System
Certification of a Health & Safety Management System offers many benefits for the certified company such as:
· Reduced hazards for employees, customers and suppliers
· Reduced cost related to accidents at work
· Boosted employee moral
· Legislation compliance
· Reduced insurance cost
· Strategic advantage against the competitors